The first Anglican place of worship in Gidea Park (built 1928) was the St Michael’s Mission Church. Until 1931, Gidea Park was within the Chapelry of All Saints Squirrels Heath, now known as Ardleigh Green.
In 1931 a decision was taken to create the new and separate Parish of Gidea Park. On 8th August 1933 the new Parish of St Michael Gidea Park was constituted. A new Church Hall was built (this building remains)
The first General Church Meeting was held on 29th September 1933 for the purpose of the appointment of Church Wardens and the PCC.
The beautiful Parish Church of St Michael and All Angels as we know it today was constructed adjacent to those buildings. It was consecrated on 21st May 1938 by the Lord Bishop of Chelmsford – Dr Henry Wilson.
The Mission Church building was modified to become the current Bishop Chadwick Hall.
The Architects were Messrs Crowe & Careless. The Parish Church was built by Messrs Stedman Brothers at a cost of £8450 including all furnishings. The Church Bells were donated by Ald. Chaplin. The Floodlighting and Gold Cross on the Church Tower were donated in memory of Rev. Canon F. Leech. The Organ is a fine two manual Gray & Davison.
Vicars past and present:
Rev. Canon J. Elvin 1931 – 1957
Rev. Canon F. Leech 1958 – 1981
Rev. E. Pilkington 1982 – 2004
Rev. M. Finch 2005 – 2013
Rev. P. Weston 2014 – present